Serving our customers, communities, and planet a little better every day
Azure Engineering Lead, Permanent
Edinburgh or Newcastle, Flexible/Remote working available
Excellent Salary & Benefits
The Tesco name comes with a dedication to customer service excellence, but Tesco Bank offers something more: a fresh approach to finance. While it’s an innovation, ours is a business built on the next development, the evolution to come. For forward-thinking, technical professionals, that means making a wide-ranging and long-lasting impact in an organisation that’s changing the face of banking for our customers.
We're on a mission to make our customers happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
Tesco Bank is looking for an experienced Cloud Engineering Lead with excellent knowledge of Microsoft Azure and proven experience engineering new cloud native services using continuous delivery techniques underpinned by instrumentation that not only monitors performance, but also compliance. You will be:
- Leading a team of cloud engineers to support the delivery of first-class customer facing products across web, mobile and API channels.
- Leading the design and engineering of new complex cloud services that exploit public cloud infrastructure and platform services plus cloud native design patterns (loosely coupled, containers, serverless) that support our drive towards enabling product teams to self-serve.
- Implementing and enhancing our continuous delivery tools chains to drive high levels of automation, test driven development approach and consistency across the cloud services we develop.
- Implementing instrumentation as part of the design of new cloud services that ensures we can continuously monitor and report on the compliance of cloud services against our key controls.
- Working closely with our Cloud Engineers and Product Managers to maintain and prioritise our backlog, develop stories and acceptance criteria, to plan and estimate future sprints.
- Engaging with our Domain Architects, IT Risk and IT Security teams plus key suppliers to ensure the cloud services we design, and engineer are secure, scalable, performant, resilient, optimised and compliant.
- Identifying and implementing new engineering standards and patterns including the creation of code artefacts that support broad re-use across engineering teams.
- Capturing and sharing cloud related knowledge and experience across the engineering team and broader organisation through blog posts, videos, and training sessions.
What you’ll bring
We work with the following tech stack, we don’t expect you to tick every box, and if you feel you hit most of the brief, it’s worth exploring to further develop your career here with us at Tesco Bank.
- Enthusiasm and passion for using public cloud platforms and high levels of automation to help the business build new innovative services.
- Ability to breakdown and solve complex technical problems across multiple technology domains and successfully lead the design of new technology products and / or services.
- Strong systems administration background with experience of Linux and / or Windows Server including scripting.
- Proven hands-on experience of Azure and hold one or more Azure professional certifications.
- Strong knowledge of modern architectures and the toolchains required to effectively deploy and operate cloud solutions at scale.
- Ability to set technical direction across multiple technology domains including setting our technology roadmap working with other engineering teams and vendors where required.
- Strong knowledge of one or more programming languages (e.g., PowerShell, Python, Ruby) and continuous integration / delivery approaches and tools.
- Strong understanding and experience of agile working practices and automated testing methodologies including test driven development (TDD).
- Experience of large enterprise environments including testing of new digital services integrated with traditional systems of records.
- Ability to anticipate resource demands and can effectively manage within agreed financial budgets to deliver engineered solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage technical and business stakeholders at all levels.
- Awareness and understanding of financial services and data protection regulations and well as security good practices.
How to apply
We value our people and diverse team and believe the variety of backgrounds and experiences make us stronger to achieve our goals. We encourage colleagues to be productive, focus on meaningful work, and look for ways to further develop themselves & career, and have an excellent work/life balance.
Our colleagues are working remotely. Looking to the future, we are excited to understand our ‘new normal' and are committed to exploring the opportunities that a hybrid working environment could bring for our wider team. If you’re interested in finding out more about what a career at Tesco Bank looks like, click apply to find out more!