Do you want to inspire a leading financial services organisation by helping them successfully deliver the next generation of banking products and services to drive business advantage? Do you have a strong track record working in software engineering, delivering native mobile apps in Android ? Do you have practical, hands on knowledge and experience of building DevOps capabilities including continuous delivery pipelines leveraging industry recognised methods and tools to deliver the code you write?
If the answer is YES, then we have an exciting opportunity to join our innovative and growing mobile software engineering team in Newcastle or Edinburgh.
What will you do at Tesco Bank?
Tesco Bank is looking for a first-class Software Engineering Lead with excellent knowledge of enterprise Android native mobile development frameworks coupled with proven, hands on experience of delivering enterprise scale products directly to customers. You will be:
- Leading a team of mobile (iOS, Android, Java, Cloud) software engineers to deliver first class customer facing products across our mobile banking channel.
- Leading the design and engineering of complex banking products/services that exploit the best in class engineering practises from native mobile platforms to backend java services on public cloud infrastructure.
- Implementing and enhancing our continuous delivery tools chains to drive high levels of automation, test driven development approach and consistency across the products and services we deliver on the mobile channel.
- Working closely with other software engineers, product managers, CX and UX designers to maintain and prioritise our backlog, develop stories and acceptance criteria, to plan and estimate future sprints.
- Engaging with our Domain Architects, IT Risk and IT Security teams plus key suppliers to ensure the products and services we design and engineer are secure, scalable, performant, resilient, optimised and compliant.
- Identifying and implementing new engineering standards and patterns including the creation of code artefacts that support broad re-use across software engineering teams.
- Capturing and sharing domain knowledge and experience across the software engineering team and broader organisation through blog posts, videos and training sessions.
What are we looking for?
We recognise that this role contains a unique blend of technical and commercial skills and experience. To be successful you will bring:
- Enthusiasm and passion for using modern scalable native mobile solutions on iOS, Android, Java and public cloud platforms coupled with high levels of automation to help the business deliver innovative services quickly.
- Ability to breakdown and solve complex technical problems across multiple technology domains and successfully lead the design of new technology products and / or services.
- Strong software engineering background using Android development frameworks.
- Proven hands-on experience holding one or more professional certifications.
- Strong knowledge of modern architectures, software development techniques and the tool-chains required to effectively deploy, operate native mobile and java based cloud solutions at scale. Including but not limited to the following:
- A strong grasp of OO design, patterns and principles
- Experience with test-driven development, and solid background in multiple developer test idioms
- Experience with Specification By Example / behaviour-driven development, and a highly collaborative approach
- A commitment to code craftsmanship - clean, low-complexity, self-describing code;
- Component development using Android is mandatory
- Component development using Java is desirable
- Experience of cross-functional, self-managed teams
- Experience of DevOps automation and IaaS - ideally using Amazon EC2
- Ability to set technical direction across multiple technology domains including setting our technology roadmap working with other engineering teams and vendors where required.
- Continuous integration / delivery approaches and tools.
- Strong understanding and experience of agile working practices and automated testing methodologies including test driven development (TDD).
- Experience of large enterprise environments including testing of new digital services integrated with traditional systems of records.
- Ability to anticipate resource demands and can effectively manage within agreed financial budgets to deliver engineered solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage technical and business stakeholders at all levels.
- Awareness and understanding of financial services and data protection regulations and well as security good practices.
How to stand out?
You will be currently working as a senior software engineer or lead engineer for a large enterprise, delivering innovate native mobile software products or services in a cloud native environment. You can clearly demonstrate through real examples, the solutions you have engineered and how they exploited modern software development techniques and architecture; including the tool-chains used to effectively deploy and manage these solutions at scale.
Our colleagues are the heart of our business. We love the unique characteristics, experiences, and background that every single colleague brings to work. And we’re fully committed to building an inclusive work environment that reflects the brilliantly varied communities and customers we serve. As an employer, we want to build an environment where "Everyone is welcome".