Helping Tesco shoppers manage their money .
We began life in 1997 and now help more than 5 million customers with everything from insuring their pets, to saving for that something special. We want to deliver a helpful service in everything we do and to make life easier for our customers, all of our products and services are available online, on your mobile or over the phone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our innovative and growing software engineering team in Edinburgh or Newcastle.
What will you do at Tesco Bank?
- Leading the design and engineering of complex banking products and services that exploit public cloud infrastructure and platform services using cloud native design patterns (loosely coupled, containers, serverless).
- Implementing and enhancing our continuous delivery tools chains to drive high levels of automation, test driven development approach and consistency across the products and services we deliver.
- Working closely with other software engineers and product managers to maintain and prioritise our backlog, develop stories and acceptance criteria, to plan and estimate future sprints.
- Engaging with our Domain Architects, IT Risk and IT Security teams plus key suppliers to ensure the products and services we design and engineer are secure, scalable, performant, resilient, optimised and compliant.
- Identifying and implementing new engineering standards and patterns including the creation of code artefacts that support broad re-use across software engineering teams.
- Capturing and sharing domain knowledge and experience across the software engineering team and broader organisation through blog posts, videos and training sessions.
What are we looking for?
We recognise that this role contains a unique blend of technical and commercial skills and experience. To be successful you will bring:
- Ability to breakdown and solve complex technical problems across multiple technology domains and successfully lead the design of new technology products and / or services.
- Proven hands-on experience holding one or more professional certifications.
- Strong knowledge of modern architectures, software development techniques and the tool-chains required to effectively deploy and operate cloud solutions at scale. Including but not limited to the following:
- Development of RESTful web services
- A strong grasp of OO design, patterns and principles
- Experience with test-driven development, and solid background in multiple developer test idioms
- Experience with Specification by Example / behaviour-driven development, and a highly collaborative approach
- A commitment to code craftsmanship - clean, low-complexity, self-describing code
- Component development using libraries such as React, AngularJS or Ember
- Experience of cross-functional, self-managed teams
- Modern Java server containers and major java frameworks (e.g. Spring)
- Experience of DevOps automation and IaaS - ideally using Amazon EC2
- Ability to set technical direction across multiple technology domains including setting our technology roadmap working with other engineering teams and vendors where required.
- Strong understanding and experience of agile working practices and automated testing methodologies including test driven development (TDD).
- Experience of large enterprise environments including testing of new digital services integrated with traditional systems of records.
- Ability to anticipate resource demands and can effectively manage within agreed financial budgets to deliver engineered solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage technical and business stakeholders at all levels.
- Awareness and understanding of financial services and data protection regulations and well as security good practices.
How to stand out?
You will be currently working as a senior software engineer or lead engineer for a large enterprise, delivering innovate software products or services in a cloud native environment. You can clearly demonstrate through real examples, the solutions you have engineered and how they exploited modern software development techniques and architecture; including the tool-chains used to effectively deploy and manage these solutions at scale.
Our colleagues are the heart of our business. We love the unique characteristics, experiences and background that every single colleague brings to work. And we’re fully committed to building an inclusive work environment that reflects the brilliantly varied communities and customers we serve. As an employer, we want to build an environment where "Everyone is welcome".