Serving our customers, communities, and planet a little better every day
Senior Systems Engineer - AWS
Edinburgh or Newcastle, Flexible/Remote working available
Excellent Salary & Benefits
The Tesco name comes with a dedication to customer service excellence, but Tesco Bank offers something more: a fresh approach to finance. While it’s an innovation, ours is a business built on the next development, the evolution to come. For forward-thinking, technical professionals, that means making a wide-ranging and long-lasting impact in an organisation that’s changing the face of banking for our customers.
We're on a mission to make our customers happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
- This role will be focused on helping us deliver a first-class service on our head office applications estate, using Linux, Windows, Terraform, Packer, Ansible, Python, Bash and Jenkins as our pipeline tool.
- As a senior engineer, we’d be looking to you to drive feature upgrades and technical proofs of concepts, help advise on industry best practices, leveraging your experience to assist in design and discovery phases and ultimately enhance our engineering team.
- Our engineering culture is part of what makes us a great place to work, and we encourage all our engineers to share new ideas, challenge existing practices and always be looking for opportunities to improve their teams and our wider engineering community.
- Senior engineers are the lynchpin of our teams, working closely with junior engineers and product owners on everyday challenges, while also assisting our lead and principal engineers on our longer-term technology goals.
What you’ll bring
We work with the following tech stack, we don’t expect you to tick every box, and if you feel you hit most of the brief, it’s worth exploring to further develop your career here with us at Tesco Bank.
- We automate using a mix of Terraform, Packer, Ansible, Python and Bash, using Jenkins as our pipeline tool.
- We also like our cloud engineers to understand the fundamentals of either Linux or Windows including how to support a server operationally and troubleshoot connectivity and application issues.
- We’re on a journey to containerisation using Docker and Kubernetes – some experience of the platform would be advantageous.
- We’re using AWS exclusively for now, a good working knowledge of building and running at scale within EC2, RDS and beyond is ideal.
- A grasp of the big picture – we’re working to standardise our toolchain within the application teams and to set broader and wider goals for our technology direction and are looking for leads who can be a key part of that.
How to apply
We value our people and diverse team and believe the variety of backgrounds and experiences make us stronger to achieve our goals. We encourage colleagues to be productive, focus on meaningful work, and look for ways to further develop themselves & career, and have an excellent work/life balance.
Our colleagues are working remotely. Looking to the future, we are excited to understand our ‘new normal' and are committed to exploring the opportunities that a hybrid working environment could bring for our wider team. If you’re interested in finding out more about what a career at Tesco Bank looks like, click apply to find out more!