Serving our customers, communities, and planet a little better every day
System Engineer - Cloud
Edinburgh or Newcastle, Flexible/Remote working available
Excellent Salary & Benefits
The Tesco name comes with a dedication to customer service excellence, but Tesco Bank offers something more: a fresh approach to finance. While it’s an innovation, ours is a business built on the next development, the evolution to come. For forward-thinking, technical professionals, that means making a wide-ranging and long-lasting impact in an organisation that’s changing the face of banking for our customers
We're on a mission to make our customers happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
Tesco Bank is looking for a Cloud Engineer with knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and some experience engineering new cloud native services using continuous delivery techniques underpinned by instrumentation that not only monitors performance, but also compliance. You will be:
- Engineering new cloud services, based on agreed designs, that exploit public cloud infrastructure and platform services plus cloud native design patterns (loosely coupled, containers, serverless) that support our drive towards enabling product teams to self-serve.
- Implementing solutions using our continuous delivery tools chains to drive high levels of automation via a test-driven development approach that ensures consistency across the cloud services we develop.
- Implementing instrumentation as part of the build of new cloud services to ensure we can continuously monitor and report on the compliance of cloud services against our key controls.
- Working closely with our Senior Cloud Engineers and Cloud Engineering Leads to input into our backlog, develop stories and acceptance criteria, to plan and estimate future sprints.
- Engaging with IT Security teams plus key suppliers to ensure the cloud services we engineer are secure, resilient, optimised, and compliant.
- Contributing to new engineering standards and patterns including the creation of code artefacts that support broad re-use across engineering teams.
- Capturing and sharing cloud related knowledge and experience across the Cloud Services team and broader organisation through blog posts, videos, and training sessions
What you’ll bring
We work with the following tech stack, we don’t expect you to tick every box, and if you feel you hit most of the brief, it’s worth exploring to further develop your career here with us at Tesco Bank.
- Enthusiasm and passion for using public cloud platforms and high levels of automation to help the business build new innovative services.
- Ability to solve technical problems across multiple technology domains.
- Systems administration background with experience of Linux and / or Windows Server including scripting.
- Hands-on experience of AWS and hold one or more AWS professional certifications.
- Knowledge of modern architectures and the toolchains required to effectively deploy and operate cloud solutions.
- Knowledge of one or more programming languages (e.g., Python, Ruby) and continuous integration / delivery approaches and tools.
- Understanding and experience of agile working practices and automated testing methodologies including test driven development (TDD).
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to engage technical stakeholders at all levels.
How to apply
We value our people and diverse team and believe the variety of backgrounds and experiences make us stronger to achieve our goals. We encourage colleagues to be productive, focus on meaningful work, and look for ways to further develop themselves & career, and have an excellent work/life balance
Our colleagues are working remotely. Looking to the future, we are excited to understand our ‘new normal' and are committed to exploring the opportunities that a hybrid working environment could bring for our wider team. If you’re interested in finding out more about what a career at Tesco Bank looks like, click apply to find out more!