Serving our customers, communities, and planet a little better every day
Domain Architect - Payments
Edinburgh, Flexible/Remote working available
Excellent Salary & Benefits
The Tesco name comes with a dedication to customer service excellence, and Tesco Bank offers something even more: a fresh approach to finance. While it’s an innovation, ours is a business built on the next development, the evolution to come. For forward-thinking, technical professionals, that means making a wide-ranging and long-lasting impact in an organisation that’s changing the face of finance for our customers.
We're on a mission to make our customers happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances.
- Leading, delivering and communicating the payments architecture domain in line with the defined technology strategies and architecture of the Tesco and Tesco Bank.
- Delivering and maintaining the payments domain roadmap which informs technology decisions and shapes and aligns the investment portfolio ensuring it delivers Tesco’s and Tesco Bank’s target architecture.
- Influencing Exec and Senior Management in payments technology and architecture decisions and guiding technical specialists by staying abreast of industry trends & solutions. Leading teams to execute technical proof-of-concept activities.
- Producing high level designs for significant payments use cases/projects, as agreed by the CIO LT.
- Working across the business & delivery teams to explore options and agree payment solutions that meet business requirements within project and enterprise constraints (time/cost/strategies). Ensuring “I am risk aware” - this may include identifying, assessing, managing, or mitigating risks - helping to ensure I "do the right thing" at all times.
- Providing advice on aspects of payments solution and infrastructure architecture, system development and integration and ensuring that relevant technical strategies, policies, standards, and practices are applied correctly.
- Owning and evolving the payments technical landscape.
- Applying relevant due diligence to ensure quality architecture deliverables are produced, solutions are compliant with building, maintaining, and disseminating payments domain knowledge across the landscape.
- Facilitating the overall architectural governance processes including contributing to and reviewing of scorecards. Applying appropriate due diligence to ensure quality solution designs are produced that are compliant with policy and standards and are aligned with domain road maps.
- Participating in the management and maintenance of key suppliers and vendors, evaluating usefulness, maximising capabilities, cost of products and making appropriate recommendations.
- Evaluating and selecting suppliers based on the specification and evaluation criteria both within a formal RFI/RFP process or stand-alone.
- Coaching and mentoring colleagues across CIO, sharing knowledge through constructive feedback.
What you’ll bring
For a domain architect role, we value breath over depth of knowledge and are not prescriptive over previous technical experience. We value the ability to pick up new challenges and learn and we don’t expect you to tick every box. If you feel you hit most of the brief, it’s worth exploring to further develop your career here with us at Tesco Bank.
Specific skills & experience required:
- Payment systems and architectures across a variety of payment types including credit and debit card payment processing (PoS, e-commerce and ATM), non-card payments (e.g. Faster Payments, Bacs, Chaps, SWIFT) and open banking.
- Able to demonstrate a breadth of understanding within the payments and IT industry and that you stay abreast of industry trends & technologies using a variety of techniques and how these can be used to deliver business benefits and benefit Tesco customers
- Relevant experience of developing domain strategies and roadmaps that meet business objectives and ensuring that these are delivered
- Able to work under broad direction with minimum supervision and be accountable for meeting allocated management objectives
- Outstanding stakeholder management skills
- Excellent communication skills at all levels
- Able to demonstrate a good track record of managing and delivering strategic initiatives within a company e.g. you had direct influence on company LT/ Exec in their thinking and can influence the thinking of senior stakeholders because of your knowledge & external inputs
- Experience in the review and critique of technical design and documentation
- Able to demonstrate you have proactively disseminated and contextualised your knowledge and direction to colleagues across companies you have worked for (huddles, presentations, coaching, etc)
- Knowledge of applicable Industry Models and/or Frameworks
- You have a network of external SME contacts outside the companies you have worked for that you maintain & keep fresh
- Possess 10 – 15 years’ experience of working within the payments/technology industry and/or other relevant technical experience that cover the key disciplines of architecture and strategy that allowed you to be seen within your company as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) by a range colleagues, managers, and 3rd parties
- Flexibility and ability to work with uncertainty, pick up new challenges and learn as you go
- Able to provide examples of delivering both technical / strategic input into the creation of and support in the assessment / delivery of RFI/RFPs
- Experience of a range of solutions including bespoke, COTS, SaaS and Public Cloud
- Experience of applying architecture within agile delivery methodologies
How to apply
We value our people and diverse team and believe the variety of backgrounds and experiences make us stronger to achieve our goals. We encourage colleagues to be productive, focus on meaningful work, and look for ways to further develop themselves & career, and have an excellent work/life balance
Our colleagues are working remotely. Looking to the future, we are excited to understand our ‘new normal' and are committed to exploring the opportunities that a hybrid working environment could bring for our wider team. If you’re interested in finding out more about what a career at Tesco Bank looks like, click apply to find out more!