Head Office & Managerial Application Process
What To Expect
Applying for Roles
- Search and apply to view all the current opportunities in head office on our Careers site.
- If a job matches your skills and preference, simply complete and submit an online application and upload your CV.
- If there is no suitable vacancy at this time, sign up for job alerts and we’ll send you an email when we post a job that matches your skills and preferences.
The Recruitment Process
- Once you apply for your role online you will receive an automated email from our Recruitment Team to confirm we have received your application
- The Recruitment Team will assess your application against the job criteria to determine your suitability for the role.
- If the Recruitment Team does not feel your skills and experience match the role you have applied for, we will contact you on email to let you know you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
- If the Recruitment Team would like to pursue your application, they will contact you via telephone to arrange a telephone interview. The Recruitment Team will aim to find a time for the telephone interview that suits you. The type of telephone interview may differ for different roles across the business, and depending on the type of role, a telephone interview may not be required before a face-to-face interview. Typically, the telephone interview will last 30 minutes and consists of competency based questions based on the requirements of the role.
- Once you have completed your telephone interview, the Recruitment Team & the hiring manager will determine the outcome of your interview. If you are unsuccessful, the Recruitment team will call you with feedback on your unsuccessful application. In the event that you have been successful, the Recruitment team will contact you to arrange a time for a face-to-face interview. The type of interview you attend may vary in different parts of Tesco Bank, and you may meet with a representative from the recruitment team, the business area, or both. You may also be asked to attend more than one interview.
- The face-to-face interview will consist of both competency-based and technical questions. This helps us assess your abilities against the criteria of the role and the values of Tesco Bank.
- If you have been unsuccessful at your interview stage, the Recruitment Team will call you and offer you feedback on your interview and advice on how to improve next time.
- If you are successful in being offered a position at Tesco Bank, the Recruitment Team will call you to request the details of your referees. Upon successful completion of referee checks the Recruitment team will discuss the offer of employment and your start date. During this call, you will also be informed of what documentation we require from you to commence with us.
- All individuals who successfully gain employment with Tesco Bank will be asked to complete Pre Employment Screening.
Competency Based Interview – What is this?
At Tesco Bank we use competency based interview to evaluate your competence. Competency based interviews (sometimes known as situational or behavioural interviews) give us valuable insight into your preferred style of working and behaviours, to help us determine if you fit the Values and culture of Tesco Bank.
There are many competencies we may discuss with you, which could include, but not limited to, teamwork, communication, leadership, problem-solving and customer service. By asking you questions on competencies that are required within the role you have applied for, the interviewers can evaluate your interview and ensure this is the right role for you.
Some things to think about when answering a competency based question are:
- Situation – Describe the situation and explain what happened
- Task – Outline the task you had to complete and describe your responsibilities
- Action – Explain the steps that you took or the decisions you made
- Result – Explain the outcomes of your actions and what you learnt from the experience
Pre Employment Screening
As a Bank we have regulatory screening of credit and criminal record checks to comply with, together with our own referencing checks. If you have any doubts over these please ask, and we’ll do our best to help you.
All individuals who are offered employment with Tesco Bank will need to complete Pre Employment Screening. Pre Employment Screening ensures that a job applicant is who they say they are and is suitable to do the job they have been offered. The Pre Employment Screening involves two checks; a credit history check & Disclosure.
Disclosure is a document which contains impartial and confidential criminal history information that is held by the police and the government departments. The Disclosure could include information on criminal records, person’s included on children’s lists, and other relevant information held by the police force or government body local to you. You will be given instructions by the recruitment team on how to complete your Disclosure online. It should take you 30 minutes to complete. All confidential information that you provide in your Pre Employment Screening will not be seen by anyone outside of HR.
Once you have completed your Pre Employment Screening, the paperwork will be sent for processing. Pre Employment Screening takes approximately 4 weeks to complete, and longer if a more detailed screening is required for a particular role, or if the screening requires contact with overseas organisations. The Recruitment Team will contact you when the Pre Employment Screening has completed, and they will send you a unconditional letter of offer.